- To create a safe setting for all children.
- To provide the opportunity for children to develop one to one relationships.
- To create trust and a sharing caring attitude.
- To model positive adult behaviour.
- To provide opportunities for social learning through co-operation and play with others.
- To raise children's confidence and self esteem.
- To increase motivation and a child's capacity to learn by developing language and listening skills.
- To encourage children to reflect on their performance in school in a positive way.
- To devise strategies for improving behaviour.
- To focus on factors which regard the child as being at risk of exclusion.